mardi 18 octobre 2011

Turncrafter Plus - PSI Wood Lathe Review


For the last few years I have been thinking about buying a wood lathe. I've always been very interested in wood turning, and thought it would make a great hobby, but I'd never really gotten started.

A friend of mine, Chuck, is a very experienced and skilled wood turner, and every so often I get a chance to experiment with his lathe, and I always enjoy the experience. He's always happy to let me use it and willing to teach me anything I want to know, but I feel bad for imposing on him.

I never really got serious and did my research on wood lathes since I always felt that it was too expensive a hobby, and I couldn't really afford it. I knew that Chuck's lathe, a large model from General, cost him several thousand dollars and just figured that was the normal price range. This kept me away from wood turning for several years!

Recently I started looking at Wood Lathe prices, only to discover there's a large market for much smaller less expensive lathes. After looking at several reviews online and finding most of them positive, I decided to invest in A Turncrafter Plus from PSI.

This lathe was marketed as an inexpensive beginner lathe, and that's what really stood out for me. It cost a little over 150$, so I wasn't expecting too much. I was thrilled with the purchase anyway, since I would finally be able to get into wood turning, and if it didn't work out then it wasn't as if I had made a big investment.

When it arrived I was pleasantly surprised. The Turncrafter came nicely packaged and looked great out of the box. It was very small, only about two feet long and half a foot deep, but that was perfect since I don't have a lot of room in my shop. I was impressed with how heavy and solid it seamed, since I was worried that for the money I would get something flimsy or easy to break.

I attached a small piece of wood using the included live center and turned it on. It runs very quietly and smoothly, whether you have it on the slowest or fastest speed. I bought a set of lathe tools with it, and they cut into my spindle as smooth as butter!

I've turned a handful of pens and a candle holder on it so far, and I haven't had a single problem. It holds the spindle very well, and spins without slipping or choking. I couldn't be happier with this lathe. There are some limitations, mostly because of the small side, so maybe at some point I will want to upgrade to a bigger lathe, but for now it's perfect.

If you're looking to get into wood turning I highly recommend the PSI Turncrafter as an inexpensive alternative.




This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire